Activated Charcoal Mask Guide + DIY Charcoal Mask Recipes
Unless you have been hiding under a rock or the organic cushions of a wellness day spa, you will know that activated charcoal masks are gaining in popularity. Beauty and wellness circles are raving about activated charcoal’s ability to cleanse and purify your skin naturally. If you are new to the activated charcoal game, feel free to head to our FAQ to learn more. Before we reveal some winning DIY Charcoal Mask recipes, let’s have a quick look at ready made activated charcoal face masks.
Before you buy, look at the product ingredients carefully
There are many activated charcoal face masks on the market. If you are going to buy a ready made product, rather than making your own charcoal face mask, there’s a few things to keep in mind. Every face mask product is unlikely to work for every skin type so you need to look out for a few things before you buy:
- Look for synthetic ingredients on the product ingredient list. Obviously the fewer of those the better. And a skin care jack-pot would be seeing no artificial or synthetic ingredients at all.
- Consider how frequently you plan to use a face mask. Some products can be used each week. Others are recommended for less frequent use. If you have oily skin, you may prefer an activated charcoal mask you can use each week. In this case you should opt for a product that is safe and effective to use with this frequency.
- Have a look at the reviews of others who have used the activated charcoal mask you are considering. If you are using Instagram accounts to do your research, you can even ask people specific questions about their skin type and their experience with the product before you buy. If you search with #activatedcharcoal on Instagram, you will see posts from people who have used specific activated charcoal face mask brands. They will be able to give you first hand experience which is a very reliable source of feedback.
There is always the option of making a DIY Charcoal Mark yourself
If you are unable to find a ready made activated charcoal face mask that you think will work for you, perhaps consider making your own. There is nothing better than seeing the ingredients go into your own DIY Charcoal Mask mix. You have full control over the amount of each ingredient you use too. So through a little trial and error you will find just the right mix of ingredients for your skin.
Here are some of our favorite DIY Charcoal Mask recipes:
- Eat Drink Paleo has a super quick mix that they swear by.
- 1 tablespoon of activated charcoal
- 2 tablespoons of Bentonite Clay
Combine the activated charcoal with the bentonite clay with enough water in a small non-reactive bowl to create a paste. Apply this paste to your face, avoiding the delicate eye and mouth area.
Let the mask sit for about 5-7 minutes or until dry. You will start to feel it tighten as it dries. If it starts to feel itchy or uncomfortable, wash it off immediately.
Wash off the mask with some warm water and gently pat dry your face. Apply your favourite face oil or cream.
Use this mask once a week for a wonderful skin pick-me-up
2. Wellness Mama’s Charcoal Face Mask recipe
Some general tips about making your own DIY Charcoal Mask
Always patch test any new ingredient mix you are going to put on your skin. You need to make sure that the product or ingredient mix in the case of DIY preparations, has no adverse reaction with your skin.
Always use a wooden spoon and a glass bowl when using bentonite clay as an ingredient. Check out our article for a more detailed explanation by clicking here.
Activated charcoal is messy. If you need some hints and tips to get you started without getting black powder EVERYWHERE, click here.
If you are not too sure whether DIY Charcoal Mask’s is going to be your thing, start small. Buy a small amount of activated charcoal capsules initially to use in your DIY Charcoal Mask recipe. You can then trade up to a food grade charcoal powder if you love it and want to continue down the DIY skin and body care product path.
So there you have it. Whether you buy a ready made charcoal face mask or make a DIY Charcoal Mask yourself, your skin will benefit from the natural cleansing properties of activated charcoal.